This simple and refreshing Salami Sandwich is full of salami, garlic and herb cream cheese, tomato and arugula. It’s a flavor packed and quick meal that is sure to satisfy!
I love a good sandwich. There’s just something about them that I can’t resist, and I end up making them pretty often! I know what you might be thinking, do I really need a recipe to make a sandwich? Think of this recipe as inspiration for how you can make more than just a ham and cheese sandwich this week! If you want more inspiration, you should try this Cuban Sandwich, this really filling Corned Beef Sandwich, and this light and refreshing Cucumber Sandwich.
Whether you are planning a picnic, a kid’s lunch, or a party platter, a salami sandwich is the perfect choice! It’s a simple sandwich that is full of flavor and is always a crowd pleaser. If my kids aren’t asking for a grilled cheese or Monte Cristo, they want this salami sandwich. It’s that good! And the best part is it’s really easy to make when you are in a hurry.
I love having aged and cured meats like salami in the house. Pepperoni is another one we always have on hand too, it also makes great sandwiches (like this pizza panini). They are really full of flavor, and they stay good for a long time in the refrigerator. I also love to add salami to my charcuterie boards, so it’s just a great thing to have in your refrigerator for a lot of reasons.
This salami sandwich will taste best with fresh ingredients! You should be able to find everything really easily at your grocery store. I like to make my own cream cheese spread to add a little more homemade flavor. You could also add some olive oil on the bread, and a little salt and pepper. I feel like the meat already has a lot of salt and pepper in it so I usually leave it off. You can find measurements below in the recipe card.
- Hoagie Roll: This is the ultimate sandwich bread! It’s fluffy and super filling. It’s kind of like what you get when you go to a sub shop. You should be able to find it in the bakery section of your local grocery store.
- Herb and Garlic Cream Cheese: This spread is so easy to whip up and adds all of the flavor to this sandwich. You won’t even need mayo or anything else to get a delicious and not dry mouthful every bite.
- Salami: This is the key to a salami sandwich of course! Salami is a dried meat that has been cured and lots of spices added to it. It’s really flavorful all on its own, so it makes an amazing sandwich.
- Tomato: Tomato gives this sandwich extra flavor and moisture. I like to slice them on the thinner side so that you get the perfect amount in every bite.
- Arugula: Arugula is a really flavorful and spicy green leaf. It’s tastier than spinach or regular lettuce in my opinion. If you’ve never had it before, now is a great time to try it!
Salami Sandwich Recipe
I know, it’s a sandwich recipe! This salami sandwich is super easy to assemble, so you really don’t have to follow these exact steps. But what you may not know is that how you order things on the sandwich is actually how you end up tasting it in your mouth. It will taste different if you put the arugula on bottom instead of on top! In my opinion, this is the order with the best flavor combinations. You can try switching up the order to see the different tastes!
- Prep Bread: Slice the hoagie roll horizontally to assemble the sandwich open-faced.
- Add Cream Cheese: Spread the herbed cream cheese on both sides of the loaf.
- Add Meat: Layer the salami slices on the bottom half of the loaf. I like to fold the salami slices in half, and then again in half. It adds texture and bulk to the sandwich by having folded pieces of salami. You can also buy high-quality salami from the deli and cut them into thicker pieces.
- Add Tomato: Next, layer on the sliced tomato.
- Add Arugula: Add the fresh arugula.
- Close and Enjoy: Carefully close the sandwich and slice it in half to enjoy!
Additions to Your Salami Sandwich
The thing I love most about this salami sandwich is it’s the perfect base for so many more ingredients!
- Cheese: I know you are all thinking it, I want some more cheese on my sandwich! I totally get that, if you want more than cream cheese here are some suggestions. I love provolone cheese or gouda the best with salami. It’s also amazing with swiss or parmesan cheese. I also really love aged white cheddar. It’s hard to go wrong with cheese for this sandwich.
- Extra Meat: You can’t go wrong with more protein! This easy salami sandwich is great with sliced deli pork or any other traditional charcuterie meats like prosciutto or sopressata.
- Pickles: I love an extra pop of vinegar (you can add balsamic or regular vinegar to the bread too!) that a pickle gives. You could also squeeze a little fresh lemon juice over your salami to get the same effect. I like the extra crunch that pickles add too, so that’s usually what I do.
- Warm It Up: A hot salami sandwich is divine! You can assemble your sandwich and pop it in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is nice and melty. If you are making it without cheese, wait until the bread starts to brown but not burn. You may want to leave off the arugula and tomato if you don’t like those hot.
A leftover salami sandwich is always a sight for sore eyes in the refrigerator. You can make this sandwich ahead of time without the bread getting soggy because the cream cheese acts like a barrier. It keeps the moisture from soaking into the bread.
- In the Refrigerator: You can store your leftover salami sandwich in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Slice the hoagie roll horizontally to assemble the sandwich open-faced.
Spread the herbed cream cheese on both sides of the loaf.
Layer the salami slices on the bottom half of the loaf. I like to fold the salami slices in half, and then again in half. It adds texture and bulk to the sandwich by having folded pieces of salami. You can also buy high-quality salami from the deli and cut them into thicker pieces.
Next, layer on the sliced tomato.
Add the fresh arugula.
Carefully close the sandwich and slice it in half to enjoy!
Serving1sandwichCalories635kcal (32%)Carbohydrates39g (13%)Protein29g (58%)Fat40g (62%)Saturated Fat15g (75%)Polyunsaturated Fat3gMonounsaturated Fat14gCholesterol91mg (30%)Sodium2480mg (103%)Potassium556mg (16%)Fiber2g (8%)Sugar8g (9%)Vitamin A1062IU (21%)Vitamin C12mg (15%)Calcium66mg (7%)Iron12mg (67%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.